January 28, 2008

Mom and Me

My beloved mother and I had the chance to spend some "quality time" together :) We sat together and each one of us was doing the things she likes to do.

She was attaching rings to gold-plated fringe components, using only one chain-nose pliers and tongs to open them. I was surprised by this strange method, so I asked her why doesn't she use two pliers, like I usually do, and tried to convince her to try it my way by warning her about ruining the shape of the rings.

Working Together/ Mom's Special Method

She insisted working in her way, and then she said we would make a little competition: each one of us will use her own method and we would check who was able to open more rings. Well, I lost in this competition.. :) She managed to do it much quicker! Defeated, I returned to my beading tray and continued my needle work with bugles... :) I didn't try to argue with her anymore..

The fringe she was making was to be attached to a new special ornamented hat, which is the main decorative item in a Yemenite bride costume. This special costume is worn during a traditional Yemenite "Henna" wedding party.
My mother taught a lot of women how to make these costumes, using beads and silver and gold components, that were handmade mainly by my late grandfather, who was a Yemenite silversmith.

Traditional Yemenite Bride Costume

I really admire my mother for keeping this tradition alive and especially for the intricate artistic work she is doing.
My Mom's Embroidery Work

While I was writing this post, I recalled that many months ago I beaded a set of jewels for a Yemenite lady, who specifically asked Yemenite-style jewels to wear on her son's wedding. So, here is what I managed to design for her:

A Peyote Changeable Necklace and Brick Earrings

I beaded a peyote spiral with a big diamond-shape pendant, which can be folded into half to make a triangle shape, and added few peyote beaded beads, that can be removed or change their order.
I also beaded earrings in brick-stitch and a peyote bracelet with loops on the edges to complete this set.

Peyote Bracelet with Loops

The lady was very satisfied and happy with it, so I was satisfied too.. :)

8 comments:

  1. I have little time recently, but I look always in to because I wait for your newer beauties. Very moving when a mother and his daughter may create together,especially the work which can be seen on the photos. I understand it already now from where you have the talent, it gurgles in your veins! Beautiful all your mother, all your work!!!
    Congratulate, and very much health,that be allowed to prepare much bliss like this together yet!!! Hug,Emese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Emese, for your greeting and kind words!

    Smadar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love Your works, all are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i'm so glad i found your blog... 1st of all i think your work is absolutely stunning!!! and i wanted to leave you a message, and all of a sudden i found my name as a link on your blog, thank you! i feel very honoured... would love to be in touch with you, i also live in israel and have been beading for about 2 years.
    again amazing work, by far the best i've seen in israel for sure!!!

    Triz (Patrizia Tager)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Triz,
    Thank you very much for the compliment!
    We can correspond via email, mine is: smadarstreasure@gmail.com

    Thanks :)
    Smadar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very classy! I love the loops and the color combination.

    ReplyDelete