October 09, 2008

EBW Challenge - "Animal Instinct"

Etsy BeadWeavers' theme for October Challenge was "Animal Instinct".




I couldn't find any idea just until a few days before the deadline. But then, I remembered a nice cat & mouse toggle clasp I saw the other day at Bogal's, my bead supplier. The cat & mouse clasp is humorous and fun and I thought it would be nice to make something that is unusual for me, somewhat "out of the box". So, this is my entry -"Gotcha!", a beadwoven cat & mouse bracelet, No.17 on the voting list.

I used BeadTool program to help me design the cat's head, which was the easy part of implementing the idea. The mouse was a bit of a challenge to make. I had to unpick it a few times because it wasn't stiff enough to act as a toggle, but then I came up with the idea of filling its body with pieces of wire to make it stiffer, and that led me to the idea of making the tail and ears from wire as well.

It was quite fun making this bracelet, and I enjoyed having my two kids looking over my shoulder every few minutes to see its progress :)

There are 19 wonderful entries this month and it is interesting to see each participant's interpretation of the theme. Please visit the Etsy BeadWeavers blog to see all 19 entries, pick your favorite and vote for it. Voting lasts from the 9th to the 15th. You might as well leave your comment.




16 comments:

  1. That is very clever and very unusual. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bracelet! It's so adorable Smadar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very clever take on the theme, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that little mouse!!! He's adorable, and I hope the cat doesn't eat him. :-)

    I've just tagged you, on my blog. Check it out, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! This bracelet is sure an unusual item in my "serious" collection ;)

    MaryLou, thanks so much for tagging me! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. גאוני!!!
    מהמוצלחים ביותר שלך
    פשוט מקורי וגאוני

    אהבתי מאוד מאוד

    חג סוכות שמח

    יהודית

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most fun piece I've seen in a long time! very cool!!! :-) I've just tagged you - please visit my blog: http://triz-beadingmania.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-been-tagged-twice.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute idea - didn't see the mouse until the close-up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOOOW, Super!!!

    hugzz

    zebra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, storybeade and dear Zebra :)

    ג'ודית, תודה!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is very beautiful and super original!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

    ReplyDelete